email ad inquiries to info@sduncensored.com
• View topic - ICAM major, anyone?

It is currently 10/31/14 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ICAM major, anyone?
PostPosted: 04/01/05 4:44 pm 

Specifically the music section. I'm thinking about changing from CSE to ICAM Music, but my parents are most definitely going to object. Anyone wanna' share their 2 cents?

Post subject: Re: ICAM major, anyone?
PostPosted: 04/01/05 5:09 pm 

I'm Media with Computing pre-major.

If you'd rather be ICAM than CSE go for it, just remember you won't make as much money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/01/05 5:18 pm 

Well, I'm more worried about my parents not supporting me financiall than the $$$. I love music and I wouldn't even mind settling for a lesser salary if I get to work with it. I have some production projects anyway; we'll see what those bring in once they're completed. What can you do with ICAM Music, and what are the post-undergrad options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/01/05 8:57 pm 

absolutely nothing. learn the icam shit on your spare time...i did all that shit in high school, max/msp, producing, editing, protools, the likes. worked at the gap to afford a nord modular and protools interface, and made a cd at 17 that spiked interest from a few flavor of the week electro-hipster labels. good times.

trust me. you don't need to waste your ucsd education learning this stuff. experiment with it by yourself, you'll learn so much more. nowadays, computers are so fast and there's so much freeware, there's no need to really waste any money to make good music. and if you want to get *really* deep into electronic music theory (e.g. doing a bunch of convolution stuff, spectral craziness, granular stuff), talk to tom erbe at the music dept (i suggest taking his music 176 class...the guy is really cool, and you'll learn something useful).

i took one icam/music class last quarter, and its mostly full of asian guys wanting to learn how to make beats, audio gear hounds, or hipsters who still use the term "IDM" like it means something.

as far as getting a job goes, if you're a good programmer you don't need a degree. just show off your skills by actually programming good software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 2:24 am 

Yeah, I figured someone was going to have this point of view. Here's my thing: I'm a CSE major right now, and compared to the requirements for ICAM (basic keyboard, music theory, etc), CSE reqs (physics, math) are horrendous. I'm starting to hate this major even more knowing there's one relating to music right here. I'm a music addict, and if I can do music I pretty much discard any ideas about $$$, so it's not like I'm scared of not being a millionaire at 40. The thing is, what can I do with ICAM degree? Get more education, and which and where? Get a job/career and where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 9:07 am 

Wait. Unless you're doing real bad in classes, why change your major? You can do music any time. Hell! You can drop out of school and do music full time on your own terms. You being a music fan, how many musicians and artists do you know who have done ICAM? You could probably ask the same of actors and directors? It will not up your chances in the field. If you love music, that's fine. The way I see it, make work work and fun fun, but try not to mix it up or else you'll tire and burn out on what is supposed to be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 9:35 am 

I was thinking about majoring in ICAM for a while, but I eventually ended up comprimising. Now I'm just minoring in it. I don't think of it as something I'll do for a job, it just gives some cool classes to take along with all the other science courses I'm taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 10:19 am 

Earendil wrote:
I was thinking about majoring in ICAM for a while, but I eventually ended up comprimising. Now I'm just minoring in it. I don't think of it as something I'll do for a job, it just gives some cool classes to take along with all the other science courses I'm taking.

Same here 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 10:53 am 

Scaaary... Epic is freaky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 11:34 am 

do the CS bachelors of arts program and minor in ICAM. The BA Degree is some what easier, theres like 8 less classes that you have to take and then you can also do ICAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 1:40 pm 

my brother has a degree in music industry from USC and it's NOT an easy field to break into.. my brother has connections and is still having a hard time finding a decent job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 2:38 pm 

How do I change from BS to BA (I'm guessing the Registrar's Office) and what are the pros and cons of each? I looked at the requirements, and BA is easier, how does that impact my career opportunities?

P.S.: By the way: http://www.sduncensored.com/viewtopic.php?t=6653

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 2:53 pm 

well a BS degree is obviosly better, but a BA degree from UCSD will still let you find a good job. Don't even worry about changing it now. Just take all the classes you need for the BA and change it during senior year.

Pros of BS Degree: looks better on the resume and you'll learn more
Pros of BA Degree: You have to take around 8 classes less

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 2:55 pm 

Guess that's the best idea...

EDIT: I wanted to major in ICAM Music so I can drop CSE and Physics, 'cuz they're both starting to annoy the hell out of me. I think I'll wait on that, though.

I was thinking about talking to the Academic Advising, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 4:41 pm 

basically if you major in ICAM you will have a much more fun and easier time in college, but you will probably have a hard time finding work after you graduate, and the 60K or whatever it costs to go to UCSD might be a waste if you are majoring in ICAM.

If you major in CS you will have to study a lot more in college and the classes will mostly be boring and hard, but once you graduate you'll be able to find a high paying job. CS majors on average make around 51K a year as their starting salary, but its probably even higher if you graduate from UCSD and live in California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 5:23 pm 

In other words, get a degree in something that you'd need a degree to do it in the real world. You can fine tune your skills in your spare time. When classes are starting to come down on ya, you can get away from it all at the turn tables. Nuttin' wrong wi dat and everyone's kool and the gang, you know? If you got what it takes musicwise, it doesn't matter whether you majored in engineering or ICAM, but if you don't... it would be good to have something reliable to fall back on.

***Academic advising is not so good at any point in the process. Whether you go to the college office or to the dept. people. These are usually administrative people who don't know jack. Fuck I had to jump through all kinds of hoops just to tell them, "Yeah, kids, I took this lab biochemistry shit eons ago, why do I have to take it all over again?" And, even then, somewhere along the line I know they screwed up and signed me up for classes that I didn't have to take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/02/05 8:55 pm 

I guess I'm donna change to BA in CSE and minor in ICAM... OK.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/04/05 2:41 pm 

yeah i went through my little "should i major in ICAM" phase too, but decided a minor is the better route to take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/04/05 3:31 pm 

napstergirl wrote:
CS majors on average make around 51K a year as their starting salary, but its probably even higher if you graduate from UCSD and live in California.

This is a loaded statistic for a number of reasons. First off, the lion's share of the US computer industry is based in California, which is reflected in the averages. That is, California drives the averages, so you're not going to beat them by working here. There is no significant computer industry in Arizona or Alabama to drive the average down.

Second, much of the lower-tier CS work has been off-shored to cheaper locations (India), which is why the starting salary is so high: only crucial, non-offshorable workers are still needed here. These jobs represent what used to be the upper-end of the pay scale; that they're the only ones left is why the average is now so high. The good news is that those jobs aren't going anywhere, and they pay well. Many of them do not even involve much programming. The bad news is that you can forget about them if you aren't in the top 10-20% of your graduating class.

If you're not truly interested in CS, and are only in it for "the job," I suggest you high-tail it over to EE like the rest of your buddies did after the dot-com crash. Or Physics; that pays well too. Or, if you really want something with short hours and high pay, so you can pursue music in your free time, become a dentist. Dentistry school is not terribly hard to get into, and is reasonably short (compared to Med school), so you aren't going to have to go TOO far into debt. And all you have to do is study Bio or something similar while you're an undergrad, which is substantially easier than CS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/01/05 10:28 pm 

I hate bio, and I'mstarting to hate physics, cse, math and everything science/engineering. I'm scared to death that i won't finish CSE if i stick with it, but yet again i'm scared of getting screwed if i get an icam degree...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/05 7:03 am 

well if you hate cse why the fuck are you majoring in it?

you know a degree isn't going to make you a better programmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/05 9:12 am 

I liked it back in November 2003, and it was OK during first and second quarters as well.

Post subject: Re: ICAM major, anyone?
PostPosted: 05/02/05 12:55 pm 

how are you doing in CSE12?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/05 1:53 pm 

Very not well. :( Failed the first 3 assignments and about to fail the midterm. It's because I don't know the shit, which is because i don't study, which is because I can't bring myself to do it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/02/05 4:59 pm 

DeadOne wrote:
Very not well. :( Failed the first 3 assignments and about to fail the midterm. It's because I don't know the shit, which is because i don't study, which is because I can't bring myself to do it. :(

Definitely sounds like it's time for a new major. It's not going to get any easier to make yourself study this stuff..