Shady UCSD underground parking permit black market?

All-campus forum of thoughts, opinions, and debate. Uncensored: enabling campus-wide communication.<br>Be sure to check out our Terms of Service.

SDUncensored.com is NOT responsible for any offensive content that is posted by our members. Posts by members of SDUncensored.com do not necessarily reflect the views of SDUncensored.com or of its staff.

Moderators: civicmon, skratchnsnift

tigermonkey99
Posts: 3
Joined: 06/16/05 9:58 pm

Shady UCSD underground parking permit black market?

Post by tigermonkey99 » 06/16/05 10:05 pm

Does this exist??!! Can someone set this up? Thanks. 8)

The Lost Khmer
Posts: 819
Joined: 10/03/03 9:25 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Shady UCSD underground parking permit black market?

Post by The Lost Khmer » 06/16/05 10:50 pm

tigermonkey99 wrote:Does this exist??!! Can someone set this up? Thanks. 8)


if you get in good with your TA's, you might be able to buy a B permit which gives you more spaces when the S spots are filled.

Otherwise, you could try counterfeiting s-permits. doesn't look terribly difficult if you can find the hologram foil somewhere.

thetutor
Posts: 20
Joined: 12/22/04 10:21 pm

Post by thetutor » 06/16/05 11:41 pm

what if we use last year's permit. I mean I think the parking enforcement officers don't check the expiration date. If they just see something yellow hanging behind the windshield, they assume it's this year's permit, am I right? I mean they can't check the expiration date of every single permit.

User avatar
MARQUIS DE SHAWN
Posts: 1333
Joined: 01/21/04 12:51 pm

Post by MARQUIS DE SHAWN » 06/17/05 12:48 am

thetutor wrote:what if we use last year's permit. I mean I think the parking enforcement officers don't check the expiration date. If they just see something yellow hanging behind the windshield, they assume it's this year's permit, am I right? I mean they can't check the expiration date of every single permit.


that was my logic until i got a ticket for that...

User avatar
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 22158
Joined: 08/28/03 10:08 pm
Location: San Diego/Bay Area
Contact:

Post by joe » 06/17/05 1:27 am

sodajerk wrote:
thetutor wrote:what if we use last year's permit. I mean I think the parking enforcement officers don't check the expiration date. If they just see something yellow hanging behind the windshield, they assume it's this year's permit, am I right? I mean they can't check the expiration date of every single permit.


that was my logic until i got a ticket for that...


i've gotten a ticket for that as well...

sobelixer
Posts: 70
Joined: 04/05/04 11:07 am
Location: san diego
Contact:

Post by sobelixer » 06/17/05 2:16 am

how much was your ticket? were u able to appeal?

User avatar
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 22158
Joined: 08/28/03 10:08 pm
Location: San Diego/Bay Area
Contact:

Post by joe » 06/17/05 2:46 am

sobelixer wrote:how much was your ticket? were u able to appeal?


i didn't appeal, because i was purposely trying to use an old permit. it was like $40 or so? actually, it might have been more. they punish you even more for trying to cheat the system.

The Lost Khmer
Posts: 819
Joined: 10/03/03 9:25 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by The Lost Khmer » 06/17/05 7:56 am

joe wrote:
sobelixer wrote:how much was your ticket? were u able to appeal?


i didn't appeal, because i was purposely trying to use an old permit. it was like $40 or so? actually, it might have been more. they punish you even more for trying to cheat the system.


the permits are a little different each year. they can usually tell from a good distance.

User avatar
WingsNThangs
Posts: 343
Joined: 02/18/04 1:08 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by WingsNThangs » 06/17/05 9:12 am

joe wrote:
sobelixer wrote:how much was your ticket? were u able to appeal?


i didn't appeal, because i was purposely trying to use an old permit. it was like $40 or so? actually, it might have been more. they punish you even more for trying to cheat the system.


They only punish you more if you alter the ticket or counterfeit it. They cant punish you for not removing an expired ticket from view, I dont think they could prove your intentions.


Anyways, I got my first ticket this week, using an expired pass. So I'm filling out the appeal form online, when i notice that they got my license plate number wrong!

My plate ends in a 5, and they recorded a 6. Is this ticket still valid?


Finally, about VIN numbers. Do they record the whole VIN or just the last 4 digits as seen on the ticket? If they only record the last 4 digits of my VIN, would they need more proof/reasoning to positively identify my car? Is it illegal to hide the VIN from view with a piece of paper or business card?

cpe21
Posts: 86
Joined: 03/28/05 7:04 pm

Post by cpe21 » 06/17/05 10:17 am

WingsNThangs wrote:
joe wrote:
sobelixer wrote:how much was your ticket? were u able to appeal?


i didn't appeal, because i was purposely trying to use an old permit. it was like $40 or so? actually, it might have been more. they punish you even more for trying to cheat the system.


They only punish you more if you alter the ticket or counterfeit it. They cant punish you for not removing an expired ticket from view, I dont think they could prove your intentions.


Anyways, I got my first ticket this week, using an expired pass (exp. 12/6/04 haha). So I'm filling out the appeal form online, when i notice that they got my license plate number wrong!

My plate ends in a 5, and they recorded a 6. Is this ticket still valid?


Finally, about VIN numbers. Do they record the whole VIN or just the last 4 digits as seen on the ticket? If they only record the last 4 digits of my VIN, would they need more proof/reasoning to positively identify my car? Is it illegal to hide the VIN from view with a piece of paper or business card?


i put my permit over my vin in the bottom left corner of my windshield...that way my vin isn't visible, but the permit still is visible enough. if they got your license plate incorrect and they didnt take down your expired permit number, then ur in the clear - there shouldn't be a link to you there. but, if they look up the old number and it leads to your info - you're probably not going to get away with anything.

i dont think it's illegal to cover you vin up, especially if you are sneaky about it like i am! if you use paper/business card, that might not fly...if i ever get hassled about mine being covered (which i never have) i will just claim that since it is technically illegal to have anything hanging from the rearview mirror, i put the permit in the most logical place, the driver side corner!
Rush PIKE!

User avatar
WingsNThangs
Posts: 343
Joined: 02/18/04 1:08 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by WingsNThangs » 06/17/05 11:00 am

cpe21 wrote:i put my permit over my vin in the bottom left corner of my windshield...that way my vin isn't visible, but the permit still is visible enough. if they got your license plate incorrect and they didnt take down your expired permit number, then ur in the clear - there shouldn't be a link to you there. but, if they look up the old number and it leads to your info - you're probably not going to get away with anything.


My expired pass was a one-day pass, and one-day passes do not identify the driver or car.

I believe it is illegal for a moving vehicle to have anything "hanging" from the rearview mirror because it obstructs the driver's view. DMV could probably argue that you can take down the pass from your rearview mirror every time you drive, and put it back up when you park.

dv3
Posts: 558
Joined: 11/08/04 11:22 pm
Location: Here

Post by dv3 » 06/17/05 11:13 am

The parking enforcement officers are more thorough than we give them credit for. I actually had a roommate two years back who made a damn good counterfeit of an S pass (laminated and all) and for two months he wasn't caught. But eventually he was caught and the ticket was pretty hefty. Forgot how much but I know UCSD Parking comes down hard on counterfeiters.
EBU II needs a bar

User avatar
nizmo
Posts: 343
Joined: 10/02/03 10:56 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by nizmo » 06/17/05 11:26 am

Just hope no one from parking is reading this...

suneel
Posts: 173
Joined: 01/21/04 8:17 pm
Location: sd
Contact:

Post by suneel » 06/17/05 4:33 pm

don't try reporting a pass stolen and still use it...

roderunner
Posts: 139
Joined: 05/03/04 6:47 pm

Post by roderunner » 06/17/05 5:07 pm

I had a parking ticket a while back, and they mixed up an E and a F in my plate #. I just didn't pay it, and it never got back to me becuase the DMV database is by plate #. It's been 8 years now.

I used to run an underground parking market (fake and grads selling to undergrads). It always works for a couple of months, until someone gets lazy and does something stupid (for me it was someone using 1 days with the same serial # in the same lot for a couple of weeks in a row). The parking people are not stupid. They will take pictures and document evidence for weeks before they write any tickets. Then they'll hit everyone with $250 tickets and letters to the dean.

beebee
Posts: 28
Joined: 09/25/04 5:37 pm

?

Post by beebee » 06/17/05 7:15 pm

do the officers just look at the permits or do they scan them? My friend used to buy a day pass, and use an erasable marker to circle the expiration date, then change the circled date and re-use it on the next day. I didnt do that becuz i thought what if they scan the permit and find out that the same permit has been scanned?

Me
Posts: 663
Joined: 02/24/04 4:51 pm

Post by Me » 06/17/05 9:09 pm

I rather just save myself the trouble and pay for the pass. I'd hate to always be worrying.

User avatar
WingsNThangs
Posts: 343
Joined: 02/18/04 1:08 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by WingsNThangs » 06/18/05 11:53 am

roderunner wrote:I had a parking ticket a while back, and they mixed up an E and a F in my plate #. I just didn't pay it, and it never got back to me becuase the DMV database is by plate #. It's been 8 years now.


Thanks for sharing your experience with that. I did call the UCSD Parking Violations appeals desk....

Me: Hi, I had a question regarding technicalities on a ticket. I was wondering if the ticket recorded the wrong license plate number, then would it still be valid?
Clerk: Well if the license information is wrong, you can’t get mailed the violation. <goes on some jibba jabba…>
Me: So, just to be clear, if the ticket records the wrong license plate by even one digit, the ticket itself is void?
Clerk: Yes, the ticket would be void. What is your ticket serial number?
Me: Actually I’d rather not say. I’m just asking.
Clerk: Why are you doing this? You trying to play some kinda game with me? Why not just give me the ticket number?
Me: I’d just rather not. Just asking a question.
Clerk: Fine then have a good day, bye. <Click>

I didnt mean to come off as an asshole, I just didnt want to give my ticket number so he could go back and revise it or something. Yeah I could've pretended I never got a ticket in the first place, but oh well. He got pretty damn pissed, but I didnt get his name (I think he had some foreign accent).

Since it is my first ticket, my coworker suggested I just appeal it like a normal ticket, note that they made a technical error, and it'll be dismissed. I guess its the more legit process with no worries of getting into deeper trouble. I just dont want them to get my name and car on file if i can get away with it.

User avatar
civicmon
Moderator
Posts: 2750
Joined: 09/25/03 11:17 am
Location: philly/delaware
Contact:

Post by civicmon » 06/18/05 4:12 pm

the only thing is if you go to pay your registration and it does get back to you, you'll have to pay it on the spot.

roderunner
Posts: 139
Joined: 05/03/04 6:47 pm

Re: ?

Post by roderunner » 06/18/05 10:48 pm

beebee wrote:do the officers just look at the permits or do they scan them? My friend used to buy a day pass, and use an erasable marker to circle the expiration date, then change the circled date and re-use it on the next day. I didnt do that becuz i thought what if they scan the permit and find out that the same permit has been scanned?


That will work well as long as it's done infrequently. They do check serial numbers, but only every once in a while. The will check serial #'s for sure if they see your car day after day with day passes.

User avatar
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 22158
Joined: 08/28/03 10:08 pm
Location: San Diego/Bay Area
Contact:

Post by joe » 06/19/05 12:40 am

WingsNThangs wrote:
roderunner wrote:I had a parking ticket a while back, and they mixed up an E and a F in my plate #. I just didn't pay it, and it never got back to me becuase the DMV database is by plate #. It's been 8 years now.


Thanks for sharing your experience with that. I did call the UCSD Parking Violations appeals desk....

Me: Hi, I had a question regarding technicalities on a ticket. I was wondering if the ticket recorded the wrong license plate number, then would it still be valid?
Clerk: Well if the license information is wrong, you can’t get mailed the violation. <goes on some jibba jabba…>
Me: So, just to be clear, if the ticket records the wrong license plate by even one digit, the ticket itself is void?
Clerk: Yes, the ticket would be void. What is your ticket serial number?
Me: Actually I’d rather not say. I’m just asking.
Clerk: Why are you doing this? You trying to play some kinda game with me? Why not just give me the ticket number?
Me: I’d just rather not. Just asking a question.
Clerk: Fine then have a good day, bye. <Click>

I didnt mean to come off as an asshole, I just didnt want to give my ticket number so he could go back and revise it or something. Yeah I could've pretended I never got a ticket in the first place, but oh well. He got pretty damn pissed, but I didnt get his name (I think he had some foreign accent).

Since it is my first ticket, my coworker suggested I just appeal it like a normal ticket, note that they made a technical error, and it'll be dismissed. I guess its the more legit process with no worries of getting into deeper trouble. I just dont want them to get my name and car on file if i can get away with it.


that guy is a dick. i went in to ask a basic question and get my head bitten off. fuck him, i hope he gets a ticket.

altoid
Posts: 3379
Joined: 12/02/04 7:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by altoid » 06/19/05 1:25 am

joe wrote:fuck him, i hope he gets a ticket.


Oh, wouldn't that be poetic justice?! :D

Hella Sober
Posts: 410
Joined: 04/12/04 4:18 pm
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: Shady UCSD underground parking permit black market?

Post by Hella Sober » 06/19/05 2:51 pm

The Lost Khmer wrote:
tigermonkey99 wrote:Does this exist??!! Can someone set this up? Thanks. 8)


if you get in good with your TA's, you might be able to buy a B permit which gives you more spaces when the S spots are filled.

Otherwise, you could try counterfeiting s-permits. doesn't look terribly difficult if you can find the hologram foil somewhere.


Counterfeiting quarterly permits = easier than counterfeiting full school year permits.

...or so I've heard.

thetutor
Posts: 20
Joined: 12/22/04 10:21 pm

Post by thetutor » 06/20/05 10:41 pm

has anyone already purchased next year's annual permit? please lemme know if it looks like this year's.

Stealth Alligator
Posts: 224
Joined: 06/19/05 6:18 pm

Post by Stealth Alligator » 06/20/05 11:52 pm

When you buy an annual permit, do they take down your information? What's to stop grad students from buying a bunch of B spot permits and reselling them?

<--- parking n00b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests